We are living in a time where having a healthy and strong immune system is more important than ever before. While there is still no vaccine, unified treatment, or cure for COVID-19, there are ways you can keep yourself well and bolster your immune defense through functional foods and supplements. Read on to learn about some of the best nutrients for immunity!
How to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
Consuming a balanced diet, including plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is the best way to eat for health. Incorporating some of these immune boosting superfoods can give your body a leg up in fighting illness!
- Broccoli Sprouts. These tiny greens are the young form of more well-recognized broccoli, and they pack in a plethora of nutrients. Broccoli sprouts are high in a compound called sulphoraphane, which is known to help activate the immune system. They also contain plenty of antioxidants, which are essential for immunity and help with cancer prevention.
- Sunflower Seeds. Just a quarter cup of these crunchy seeds provides you with half the recommended daily value of vitamin E, a key nutrient for immunity. They are also one of the few foods high in selenium, a mineral that has shown potential in fighting viruses.
- Citrus. Citrus fruits (such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and limes) are all packed with vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a vital role in the production of white blood cells, which help to build up your immune system.
- Garlic. Garlic has been used around the world for centuries as a way to help fight infection. This zesty crop is packed with a compound called alliin, which has been shown to boost immune response. Eating raw garlic is the best way to take full advantage of its disease fighting properties, as alliin is inactivated with cooking.
There are many botanical and nutraceutical compounds that have promising roles in aiding your body’s immune response. Taking supplements can be a great way to fill in nutritional gaps and ensure you are getting all the nutrients you need to live a healthy, happy life. You can purchase trusted, practitioner-grade supplements through our Fullscript account here. For specific dosing guidelines, feel free to book an appointment with us to discuss an immune-building plan custom to your unique body!
- Vitamin D. We get most of our vitamin D from the sun, so as the days get shorter and colder, it’s even more important to supplement your levels! Vitamin D has an essential role in immune function, reduces viral growth, and can help reduce upper respiratory infections.
- Vitamin C. This vitamin is an important antioxidant that contributes to immunity through supporting cellular function. It protects your cells from free radicals and has the potential to lower your risk of chronic diseases that can worsen complications from illnesses such as COVID-19.
- Zinc. Zinc is an essential mineral that does a lot for the immune system. A zinc deficiency puts you at increased risk for infection and disease, including pneumonia. Taking zinc supplements may also have potential to shorten the length of a cold.
To learn more about boosting your immune system through functional medicine, please contact us at Pursue Wellness. We would be happy to set up an immune health consultation to discuss a plan that is tailored to your needs. Book a free discovery call with our practitioners!
For other health and wellness content, check out these other blogs: