Now that many of us are working from home, staying in one place all day can be challenging on both mental and physical health. Sitting at a desk (or table) for 8 hours a day can put a strain on your eyes, back, and posture, as well as leaving you feeling cooped up. Instead of commuting to the office, you’re moving from the desk to the kitchen, and instead of getting daily movement, you’re stuck in the living room with nowhere to go. Being confined to the same space where you live and work can start to feel claustrophobic, so how can you maintain your health while being at home all day? We’re sharing our top 10 Ways to Stay Healthy When Working from Home, so read on to learn more!
10 Ways to Stay Healthy When Working from Home
1. Get a good chair. It’s important to maintain good posture—especially while working from home. You certainly don’t want to strain your back or neck while hunched over a computer screen, so make sure you choose a chair that’s comfortable (but not too comfortable!). For example: your living room recliner is great for relaxing, but it doesn’t provide good support for a workday. A dining room chair or a designated office chair will work better!
2. Have healthy snacks on hand. Snacking on things you have in your pantry is a common temptation when working from home, but do your best to resist! Instead, pre-portion your snacks before you start your workday so you won’t mindlessly graze throughout the day. You can also stock your fridge and pantry with fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, and lean proteins.
3. Give your eyes a rest. Working on a computer all day isn’t healthy for your eyes, so give them a break by closing them for a few minutes every hour. You can also look at something else or wear glasses to reduce eye strain.
4. Have water on hand. Water is important for your overall health, so be sure that you’re drinking enough of it throughout your day! Try to drink one full water bottle before lunch, and another one between lunch and dinner. You can remind yourself to drink more water by having a reusable water bottle on your desk. Not only will this help keep you hydrated all day long, but it will also make you feel good!
5. Get up every hour. Take a small break every hour to do some stretching, stroll around the house or lift some hand weights. If needed, set a timer to remind you to get up and move around. You can also take phone calls on your ear pods and walk around your designated office space! Remember that some movement is better than none.
6. Take mindfulness breaks. Be sure to take time throughout the day to be mindful of your surroundings. Take in the fact that the sun is shining, or that your dog is sitting next to you. When you pause to notice these small joys, it’s like a quick dose of meditation and will help you feel more optimistic.
7. Plan your meals. When you plan out your meals in advance, it will help reduce mindless eating. Eating leftovers for lunch is a great way to make the most out of the food you have while cutting down on prep time. You could also meal prep for a few days in advance to reduce the amount of time you spend in the kitchen.
8. Utilize natural light. If you’re able, have your designated office space in a place with natural light. You’ll get some vitamin D and experience a good mood change!
9. Get some plants. Get some greenery to freshen up your office space! Research shows that even adding a few plants to your desk or workspace can help soothe you and lower your stress levels.
10. Sit at the table to eat. When it’s time to eat, turn off all electronic devices, sit at the dinner table, and practice mindful eating. Take the time to eat slowly, thoroughly chew your food, and notice the flavors and texture in each mouthful. Not only will you enjoy your food more, but you will also appreciate the change of scenery from your workspace!
What are some ways that you stay healthy while working from home? Let us know in the comments!
For other health and wellness content, check out these other blogs: